Re: New imlib packages -- please test

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > dpkg --status gdk-imlib1
> Package: gdk-imlib1
> Section: libs
> Installed-Size: 193
> Maintainer: Ossama Othman <ossama@debian.org>
> Source: imlib
> Version: 1.9.3-1
> Replaces: gdk-imlib-nonfree1, libgdk-imlib-nonfree1, libgdk-imlib1
> Provides: gdk-imlib, libgdk-imlib1
> Depends: imlib-base, libc6, libglib1.1.13 (>= 1.1.15-1)
> Suggests: imlib-progs
> Conflicts: gdk-imlib-nonfree1, libgdk-imlib-nonfree1, libgdk-imlib1
>  Gdk-Imlib is a low-level gdk interface for gtk programmers.  It allows easier
>  access to many graphics formats and can write to them as well.
>
> I had to install it using
>   dpkg -i --force-depends
> because I use the 1.1.15-1 packages, but this shouldn't be a problem
> in my opinion.

Hmm..

a) Why did you need to force?  It seems to depend on 1.1.15-1 anyhow?

b) If you did force a different version, then I would expect to see a
segfault.  You can't link binaries against different versions to the ones
they think they're linked to.

> Ossama, by the way could you think about a method to have different
> GTK+1.1.? versions installed?  I really hope we can get rid of this
> trouble of different versions and think we should develop a solution
> really soon.  May be the feature freeze of GTK+ will help us in this
> topic something.

I have proposed a solution.  If there are no objections by Tuesday or so,
I'll implement it.

Jules