Re: RANT: "slow" release cycles my @$$!!!! (Was: Gnome to be removed from debian?)

On Sat, Feb 13, 1999 at 12:54:34AM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 23:03:35 -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
>
>      I think some perspective needs to be gained here.  On the devel list I
> constantly see people bitching and whining about the "long" release cycle of
> Debian.  In my view, those people need to get their collective heads out of
> their collective posteriors and look around.

RedHat 5.0 was out before Debian 2.0 was.  RedHat 5.2 is now out, and we do
not yet have Debian 2.1 out.  Something seems wrong with your figures.

What I am griping about is the long *FREEZE* cycle.  Please pay attention.
I am not griping about a long time between release and next freeze; that is
not excessively large.  It's the long time for FREEZE that is a problem.
If you see it necessary to use namecalling instead of reasond arguments to
debate this issue, at least you could have the facts correct first.

> significantly FASTER in release cycles than the commercial offerings and is

This is incorrect; Debian 2.1 will already be behind others when it is
released -- no kernel 2.2, no X 3.3.3, for instance.

>     Not only that, but it is *ONLY* on the developers list do I see these
> complaints.  I don't see them in the users list.  I don't see them in the

Then you do not read elsewhere very often.  I am using potato on all my
machines; do you think that I would be complaining about the long freeze
then?  Certainly not; the freeze does not have much, if any, impact on my
machines.  I am complaining for the sake of the non-developers out there.  I
hear a lot of comments in the LUG, calling Debian like Microsoft in that we
never get a release or even a freeze done on time.  People are switching to
RedHat because Debian is so out-of-date -- a byproduct of the long freeze.
If we actually did the freeze like we all agreed it should be done, things
would be fine.  But we are not.  The freeze stretches out over many months.
This is a serious problem.

> people, IMHO, will never be satisified with the release cycle no matter how
> short it is.  They should be riding the unstable tree.

Then you, again, are not paying attention.