Re: Gnome to be removed from debian?

On Fri, Feb 12, 1999 at 11:03:35PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:

> > > Really, looking at the amount of time that's passed since 3.3.3 was
> > > released, there's no real reason that it couldn't be packaged by
> > > now.
> >
> > Right, so what's your excuse for not having done it?;-) Branden has

> My development platform is Alpha.  I do not have a suitable x86
> machine at my disposal, nor a suitable one for testing.  Others have
> greater X knowledge than I.

>From what I remember, Branden can't build the packages on his own
machine for some reason...  that hasn't stopped him.

> It was not meant to criticize Brandon.  Rather, it is a criticism of
> our EXTERMELY LONG release process which I have criticized before.
> If it were not this long, there would not be the problem.  Had
> Brandon known it would have been so long, 3.3.3 could be included,
> but nobody could have predicted this really.

"Our development cycle", comes down to individual people getting their
asses in gear and doing something - or not.  No one has done that with
the new X, so we don't have it.  Eventually, either Branden will get
the current X out the door and start work on the new one, or someone
will want it bad enough to do the work themselves.

Unless someone has a financial incentive to do otherwise, this is
probably the way it will be, for better or worse (and there are some
advantages, I guess).

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton               |   Fortune rota volvitur - descendo minoratus
davidw@prosa.it               |    alter in altum tollitur - nimis exaltatus