Re: Slink Readiness?

Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:

> I personally think it's inevitable (even if avoidable for slink) that
> the Release Notes will have *slight* variations for the different
> architectures.  This, in conjunction with the fact that the Release
> Notes really shouldn't find it's home in Bob's 'upgrade' package,

     They are only in my 'upgrade' package in the sense that I used
the same .changes file to get them installed.  The Release-Notes are
installed in ../slink/main outside of the ../slink/main/upgrade-9386
directory, and are unrelated to the cd_autoup stuff.

> makes me think that I should just step up and add the Release Notes to
> the boot-floppies documentation tree.  This information will be
> installed to www.debian.org/2.1 (or some such) as well.
>
> Bob, if you think this is a good idea, please send me whatever copy
> you have and I'll put the release notes into the documentation area of
> the boot-floppies package (which you can  also have CVS access to).
> I already have the infrastructure there to do different flavors of the
> document based on architecture.  I would probably want to move the
> file into debiandoc-sgml and use marked sections as I do in the rest
> of the document -- I can make ascii flavors too.
>
> Does this sound like the right plan, now and for the future?
> I think we have at least *one* more boot-floppies release prior to
> release, so we have this weekend to resolve this.

     I think this is a terrific idea, even more for the future than
for slink.  It will give the Release-Notes a permanent home, and will
be a convenient starting point for whoever prepares them for future
releases.

     I don't care if you give me CVS access.  I have half learned RCS,
but have never looked at CVS.  (That is sort of like sgml - I plan to
learn to use it, but never find time to look at it.) Do I need the CVS
package installed to use remote CVS?  There probably won't be many
changes to this file now anyhow.

     The most recent version, Release-Notes-0.7, includes the ARCH
variable as suggested by Chris Lawrence <quango@watervalley.net>.  It
is now available on master in ~hilliard/upgrade-i386 and at
www.debian.org/~hilliard.  If it isn't convenient to grab them from
there, I'll be happy to mail them to you directly.

Bob
--
   _
  |_)  _  |_       Robert D. Hilliard    <hilliard@flinet.com>