Re: Kernel 2.2 and Slink

On Feb 13, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> Chris Waters <xtifr@dsp.net> wrote:
> > Michael Stone wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe if we didn't spend so much time between release cycles, people
> > > wouldn't feel a need to upload problematic packages just before the
> > > freeze and it wouldn't take four months to debug...
> >
> > Hmm, isn't that a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem:  if it didn't take
> > so long to release new versions, maybe people wouldn't do things that
> > make it take so long to release new versions....
> >
> > Or are you saying that we should start a new freeze ASAP after a stable
> > release?  (In which case, I think I agree).
>
> Or atleast have a 'Coldness: High' emeditly after stable release. Have that
> for one or two months. THEN freeze.

I'd recommend setting a date for the next freeze based on the date of
the stable release (say 8-10 weeks after each stable release).  That
way everyone knows how much time they have to pull in new upstream
versions and the like.

Chris
|        Chris Lawrence        |             The Linux/m68k FAQ             |
|   <quango@watervalley.net>   |   http://www.linux-m68k.org/faq/faq.html   |
|   Grad Student, Pol. Sci.    |     This address has been spam-proofed     |
|  University of Mississippi   |      All spam goes to your postmaster      |