Re: More i18n of the base system : perl scripts

On 11 Feb 1999, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Feb 1999 16:51:49 +0100, Raphael Hertzog <rhertzog@hrnet.fr> said:
> > By the way, I did just see that gettext is on the base system of the
> > boot floppies but it's not in the base section (i thought that the
> > base2_1.tgz was only the combination of the base/*
> > packages).
>
> Not necessarily.

Mmm, I think this should be indeed the case. If a package is present in
the base system, i.e. base2_1.tgz, then its section should be "base",
by definition.

Only when we are "out of sync" we have base packages not in the base
section and viceversa. This already happened some time near the release
of hamm, but it is something to be fixed (although it is not urgent).

> > However I do think that it should be in the base section
> > so that sh script can be translated with the gettext command.
>
> The issue is raising gettext priority to required.  I don't think they
> section the the package is in is really all that relevant.
>
> What does the gettext maintainer think of this?

I would have no objection to rising gettext to standard priority.

(No need to make it "required", packages should not fail because of not
being gettext present. The scripts Enrique has written for the
boot floppies are a good example of this. They would work even without
gettext, just that they would not show i18n messages).

Thanks.

--
 "24204da3c214308be22f5570485314a0" (a truly random sig)