Re: fetchmail: blatantly violates RFC's and corrupts PGP/MIME mails...automatically!

On Wed, Feb 10, 1999 at 07:10:04PM -0600, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> I would only point out that "the fetchmail maintainers" are no less
> than one individual, Eric S. Raymond; I think he would take
> considerable exception to your comparison.

He probably would.  I'll acknowledge that the last few paragraphs of my bug
report, when I started getting away from the purely technical part, became
less than completely professional.

I have to admit to a considerable amount of incredulity at how this
bug managed to creep in, though.  It's not like this was some moronic
mistake like, oh, say, a missing case terminator in a Bourne shell
script.  This was a deliberate decision that was documented as a
*feature*.  I always understood it as a cardinal rule of Internet mail
that you just don't screw with mail message bodies that are 7-bit clean.
Ever.

> Where problems with the RFCs have been pointed out to him, Eric has
> fixed them (as opposed to Microsoft et al. who at their best will
> write their own document mentioning the bug and then claim that the
> resulting document is an Open Standard to be emulated by everyone).

I do have a lot more confidence that this bug will be fixed than I would if
fetchmail were a Microsoft product.  I take the sanctity of email
personally, perhaps to an irrational extent, and that colors my language
when I feel it has been violated.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |     One man's theology is another man's
Debian GNU/Linux                 |     belly laugh.