Re: Admin tools - idea from left field

On Thu, Feb 11, 1999 at 12:20:37AM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, David Welton wrote:
>

> > Anyway, this situation my change by the time I actually get around to
> > doing anything.. I just was curious to hear other people out on the
> > basic idea.
>
> I don't know what the scope of what you're trying to do is, but if you're
> merely storing data, then I'd vote for the something like

> objectname = {
> 	name = value;
> 	name = value;
> 	subobj = {
> 		subname=value;
> 	}
> }

> Which is easy to parse, and easily extends to arbitrary (static)
> complexity.

> However, if you want dataflow, rather than just data storing, it
> doesn't cut the mustard...

I want the possibility to do data flow, OO, modularization, including
of other files.. basically all the wierd little things that lots of
mini-config languages do in a half assed way:-> If it were just a
standard data format, XML would probably be the way to go (as Anderson
MacKay pointed out to me).

I don't know XML and associated concepts real well - I'm a bit dubious
though - can you do anything besides create data formats?  (Please
respond in concrete terms - I can't stand all the hype-ish "enabling
system for the meta parsing of object oriented data storage and
knowledge enhanced blah blah" :-)

Ciao,

        Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org