Re: Admin tools - idea from left field

On Wed, Feb 10, 1999 at 01:18:23PM -0800, Brent Fulgham wrote:

> > Now, instead of writing a whole bunch of our own code, we can use
> > a nice, standard language to do our config file in...  This would
> > also make it very easy to write configurators, because instead of
> > having to recognize 132432 different, cruddy little
> > mini-languages, you can just deal with one, and deal with it well.

> The only problem is which language to choose as the basis?  Certainly
> Perl is ubiquitous, but I wonder if Guile might not be a better
> choice...

I would want the core language to be in a shared object - for now, if
I'm not mistaken, that rules out Perl and Python.  Guile doesn't play
nice with C, in its present incarnation, because of its garbage
collection.  Tcl, IMO, is great at this sort of thing - it's small,
light, simple, and was designed from the ground up to work well with
C.  As far as the language is concerned, no, it's not great, and I
would rather use Python.  Python also has the advantage that you can
more easily do data structure kinds of things without just resorting
to hash tables... (well, internally, they are hashes, but that's not
what the user sees).

Anyway, this situation my change by the time I actually get around to
doing anything.. I just was curious to hear other people out on the
basic idea.

Ciao,

        Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org