RE: Does anyone else find this extremely annoying?

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Shaleh wrote:

> > Updating package status cache...done
> > Checking system integrity...ok
> > Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they have unmet
> > dependencies:
> >   libgnome31: Depends:gnome-bin Depends:gdk-imlib1
> > Press enter to continue.
> >

> >     I'm upgrading listar and nothing else.  I haven't upgraded those
> > recently yet now it is broken and apt refuses to do anything.
>
> What I find annoying is apt-get's tendency to automagically install new
> packages without warning me.  So I use dselect with apt as the middle man.

Eh?

Wakko{root}~/work/apt/apt-pkg/contrib#apt-get install gimp
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  libgimp1 libmpeg1 aalib1
  libgimp1 libmpeg1 aalib1 gimp
0 packages upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 17 not upgraded.
Need to get 2920kb of archives. After unpacking 7082kb will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n

It -NEVER- installs new packages without a warning, but it might upgrade
existing packages if necessary and the new APT v3 has a -u option to
display these packages.

As for the original complain, the trouble is there is no way to tell if
the broken packages are required to install the new packages so apt simply
refuses. (That and it really mucks up the internal 'smart install'
routines)

Jason