Re: Non Program Freeness

On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 02:09:44PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> > To start, my take on it.
> > Obviously, anything we include in main needs to be freely
> > distributable.  It should probably be "derivable".  But I don't think
> > it *has* to be "modifiable".
> So what do you plan to do if there is a bug in this non-modifiable item you
> have placed in the main distribution? (And yes, documentation, and even
> artwork, can have bugs in it (ie: "this documentation says rm -rf / is a
> good thing", "this icon uses 1024 colors too many")).

Then we either say "This document is so crappy, it's not worth the effort
to maintain", or "This document is so *good* in other areas that we *have*
to make it available, but we might add a note about the rm thing anyway".

Consider the packages:

	doc-rfc		(distributable, translatable, reformatable,
			 not modifiable)

	doc-iana	(ditto)

	emacs20		(files in /usr/doc/emacs20/etc are often distributable
			 but not modifiable, including WHY-FREE)

	debian-policy	(the FSSTND has distribution-only terms for the
			 general public)

	doc-linux-*	(I *believe* some of the HOWTOs in this package are
			 under distribute-only terms. I'm not sure however)

I'm inclined to think Debian should continue making all of these documents
available as an official part of the system, ie not as part of "non-free".

I, personally, liked the suggestion made a while back (possibly by
John Goerzen) on -policy. That is, to have a separate category (as per
main, contrib and non-free), viz "verbatim", for documents that can be
distributed verbatim, possibly translated, that are standards or opinion
pieces or whatever else.

Cheers,
aj