Re: What hack in ld.so?

On Jan 30, 1999, Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> wrote:

> If you wish to make statement that binaries compiled with libtool work
> only on the host they were compiled for and even then only in specific
> conditions then fine - but that makes it totaly unsuitable for use by any
> of the binary distribution maker.

That's not what I'd like libtool to do.  I agree there is a problem to
be fixed, I just think that libtool is not the only piece of software
that may have to be changed to fix it, because it is not the only
piece of software that uses -rpath.

However, there is a risk that dropping -rpath will cause programs not
to work in hosts other than the one in which they were installed.

Assume libtool is modified so as to not hard-code directories listed
in /etc/ld.so.conf.  Then, the Devian (pun intended) distribution adds
/dev/lib (*) to /etc/ld.so.conf, and configures some of their packages
to install with --prefix=/dev (wouldn't that be beautiful? :-)

(*) /dev is for Devian, not devices; I won't tell you that they have
decided to move devices elsewhere too :-)

When users of other distributions installed their pre-compiled .dev
packages, programs that would run on Devian distributions would not
run in any other, because /dev/lib is not listed in /etc/ld.so.conf,
and libtool had failed to add /dev/lib to the rpath of Devian
programs.  Who's to blame for that?

Of course, the solution is easy: adding the directory to ld.so.conf or
to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

--
Alexandre Oliva  http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva  aoliva@{acm.org}
oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,gnu.org,egcs.cygnus.com,samba.org}