Re: Resolutions to comments on LSB-FHS-TS_SPEC_V1.0

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> I'd like to propose that for now the FHS is changed to read
>
> "The mail spool area location is undefined. It is guaranteed that both
>  /var/mail and /var/spool/mail point to this mail spool area if the system
>  has a mail spool. The preferred reference name is /var/mail.
>
>  [Rationale: /var/mail is the only name available on some other modern Unix
>   platforms. /var/spool/mail is the older Linux tradition and needed for
>   compatibility]
>
>  [Rationale2: The physical location of the mail spool is not relevant to
>   an application and is administrator policy. It is thus left open.]

Sounds a lot like what I said last week. :) And HPA before that. ;)

Seriously, I think that this solution is the one that the most people can
agree on, as it seems to make everyone happy (except for maybe the
~/Mailbox people, but they should be drawn and quartered ;).

| Jakob 'sparky' Kaivo        |          jake@nodomainname.net |
| NoDomainName Networks       |    http://www.nodomainname.net |
| AtDot E-mail Services       |           http://www.atdot.org |