Re: -rpath with libtool and Debian Linux

On Sat, Jan 30, 1999 at 05:40:24PM -0500, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> Suppose you have your own set of shared libraries, in your own
> directory.  Suppose you want to let other people use your programs
> linked against your own shared libraries.  You can tell everyone who
> uses your programs to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or you can simply use
> -rpath so that your programs can always find your shared libraries.

Okay.

> In general, it's convenient to store the path in the executable any
> time a shared library is installed in a directory which the dynamic
> linker does not search by default.

Yes, I should have narrowed my question to system libraries. Unfortunately,
system libraries are most likely to cause the problems, for example if
people hard code /usr/X11R6/lib/ for xaw library and you want to use
xaw3d...

> Incidentally, I don't know what you mean by saying both soname and
> library name.  There is only one name recorded for a shared library:
> the soname.

Ignorance I think. I thought soname is only the number, and a lib is stored
in libfoo.x.y.z, where foo is the library name and x.y.z the soname. If I
got it wrong, I apologize.

Marcus