Re: -rpath with libtool and Debian Linux

   Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 23:30:43 +0100
   From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>

   Why should the application choose to hard code the PATH in the binary?
   AFAICS, there is no apparent reason for it. What has the path to do with the
   library? I think the only thing that should be hard coded is the exact
   soname and library name. Maybe I am missing something?

Suppose you have your own set of shared libraries, in your own
directory.  Suppose you want to let other people use your programs
linked against your own shared libraries.  You can tell everyone who
uses your programs to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or you can simply use
-rpath so that your programs can always find your shared libraries.

In general, it's convenient to store the path in the executable any
time a shared library is installed in a directory which the dynamic
linker does not search by default.

Incidentally, I don't know what you mean by saying both soname and
library name.  There is only one name recorded for a shared library:
the soname.

Ian