Re: -rpath with libtool and Debian Linux

On Sat, Jan 30, 1999 at 07:46:21PM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Jan 29, 1999, Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> wrote:
>
> > rpath prevents library searching and thus kills this functionality.
>
> It doesn't prevent library searching, it just takes precedence over
> it.  If the library is not found in the rpath specified at link-time,
> the library is searched in other directories, such as the ones
> specified in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I think a way to override even rpath would be great.

> It doesn't work for applications that have chosen to hard-code
> /usr/lib or /usr/lib/X11R6 in their code, for whatever reason,
> therefore I can only see two possible conclusions:
>
> 1) your choice to move libraries around was a bad idea, because it
> causes certain applications to break
>
> 2) the code in the dynamic loader that chooses the `right' version of
> a library is incomplete, in the sense that it doesn't choose the
> `right' version when shared library paths are hard-coded in the
> application

Why should the application choose to hard code the PATH in the binary?
AFAICS, there is no apparent reason for it. What has the path to do with the
library? I think the only thing that should be hard coded is the exact
soname and library name. Maybe I am missing something?

Thanks,
Marcus