Re: suggestion: www.debian.org package list show the URL of the program

** Please trim the recipient list as appropriate if you reply.
   Please, don't CC me if you're responding to this message on
   this list. **

On Sat, Jan 30, 1999 at 10:52:07AM -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
> The copyright files are already available.

The changelog and copyright file links do not seem to work for all
packages. Trying to fetch mixal's copyright file or changelog results in
pages like this:

No such copyright file

and

No such changelog mixal

I checked; it works for none of my packages but works for many others.  Is
this my bug or your bug?

These packages failed: guitar, chase, libmalaga1, libmalaga-dev, mixal,
yard, malaga-bin, malaga-doc, nosql-doc.  Many others did not.  I checked
only a small number of packages.

> Sure some packages include it in the copyright file,

I usually include it in README.Debian.

> (grabbing the first url in the copyright
> file is prone to error given the lack of a standard format).

My first URL is usually the upstream tarball URL.

A good place for the URL would be the control file, IMHO.  It's already
designed to be machine-parseable, whereas debian/copyright and
README.Debian are not.

	Antti-Juhani
--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho A7 <gaia@iki.fi> ** <URL:http://www.iki.fi/gaia/> **