RE: -rpath with libtool and Debian Linux

That sounds VERY sensible, although it's breaking the whole semantics of
-rpath... Anyway I'm now a bit confused: please could someone more
familiar than me with the *exact* way ld.so resolves library clarify
it's search rules:

If -rpath introduce some non-standard library (like -rpath
/home/foo/bar/lib) what happens? What I understood a while ago was the
following:

If the program needs some libfoobar.something, and it finds
libfoobar.so.5 in /home/foo/bar/lib, it will use it. period.

If the program needs some libfoobar.something, and it does not find it
in /home/foo/bar/lib, it looks in ld.so.cache, and select the one that
fit depending on dependants (like libc5 Vs libc6)

So far so good for me... (I expect the user to be a bit careful about
dependencies between packages it explicitly install on its system, that
is he do not install executable foo linked against libc5 that needs
library bar, that was build against libc6).

BUT it seems that if I also give -rpath /usr/lib, then ld.so will no
more check dependencies and then will load the libfoobar.so.whatever he
find in /usr/lib even if dependencies are broken

If that's true, I must admit that ld.so should at least warn about
dependencies clashes; but nevertheless libtool is meant to be able to
use non perfect systems, so libtool must avoid using -rpath in this
case.

Please, to try to clear up this thread, could someone familiar with
ld.so say exactly what happens on Linux (and possibly on other platforms
also).

Regards,

		Bernard

Bernard Dautrevaux