Re: ¿Misuse of Debian name and logo?

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 02:21:38PM +0100, Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a wrote:

>         I would like to draw your attention towards www.debian-cd.com,
> it's a vendor that distributes Debian Cd's, also providing some nice
> logos for use as label. I have no problem with these save...
>
>         1.- The domain name includes 'Debian' is this OK for the project?
>         I recall a problem with a teenager registering debian.com, when
>         Bruce was Project Leader...

In order to protect our trademark, we'd either have to give this site
permission to use the trademark and logo, or tell them to stop using the
trademark and logo.

I think a polite reminder of the logo guidelines and permission to use the
trademark would be best for all parties involved. He's probably got enough
business problems without us breathing down his neck about trademarks,
licenses, and other legalese.

>         2.- The redistribution of the logo complies with our own guidelines?
>         (I dare to ask what the current status of our logo license is
>         currently...)

Last I heard, it was broken. Fortunately, this doesn't prevent Debian from
giving permission on a case-by-case basis.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brianr@osiris.978.org