Re: What's needed for kernel 2.2

Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > I just discovered, unfortunately, that you need the util-linux package
> > from potato (unstable). Rest of the things in slink are fine with
> > 2.2.0!!
>
> Why's that? I'm using the one from slink with 2.2.0 and it works just
> fine. I've been running 2.2.0-pre6 for a couple of weeks and just upgraded
> to 2.2.0 last night.

Because I, like every other user should do, read the documentation, and thus
read you need util-linux 2.9g. And if it works for you with lower versions,
does it always work? Yes, maybe, no, maybe not. I don't even want to take
the risk of 'yes it works most of the time, but sometimes it doesnt', with
kernel-things.

You cannot say 'oh with this particular package, versions dont matter',
don't you think?

This is not meant as a disagreement to your 'claim', it's just that I think
it isn't wise not to listen to such requirements in general... that's also
the main reason I started the thread about slink/2.2.0.

bye,
 -Remco