Re: New logo strategy

Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Steve Greenland wrote:
>
> > On 25-Jan-99, 19:06 (CST), Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> > > I agree with James Treacy's observation that we will probably need two
> > > logos: one logo with a liberal license that people can just freely, and
> > > another, more restricted logo for things like official CD's and so.
> > > To phrase this in another way: we will have a logo that everyone can
> > > slap onto their webpage, t-shirts, posters, etc., and a logo that can be
> > > used for `official' products, like CD's made using our own iso-images.
> >
> > Sorry, I think this is a bad idea:
> >
> > 1. We have to agree on *two* logos :-).
> >
> > 2. Far more importantly, it fractures the identity of the logo, which
> > is one of the major points of *having* a logo.
> >
> > 3. It creates a first-class and second-class logo.
>
> Nah.
>
> A 'submission' to the contest is a pair of logos.  Linked to each
> stylistically, one of them says 'official' or something.

Or, we could have a contest to decide a basic logo and then design a
"variation on the theme" ourselves for the official logo.

Actually, I kind of liked cap'n blue eye; then again, I also liked the
platypus more than a penguin.  Actually, hmmm - a Debian platypus...

If we are going to have a gimp.org done contest, I would like to see
that the rules allow people to use things that are not gimp, but that
are DFSG free software.  I find the command-line pnm tools very useful
in manipulating images, and it would be nice if I could use them.  It
would also be nice if I could use xpaint, or something else that
allows me to draw simple straight lines and ellipses - freehand
drawing with the mouse is very difficult.