Re: Update was Re: Unsatisfied depends in slink main

Jason Gunthorpe writes:
>On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>> While what you say is in principle true, in practice it doesn't always
>> work out that way. My experience has been that many problems experienced
>> by our users, and much of the fault on "broken" CDs have been the result
>> of out-of-sync Packages files. In my most recent personal case, that
>> broken sync was caused by a broken mirror configuration WRT symlinks. The
>> result was a package in the Packages file but not in the archives. This
>> can happen through a chain of mirrors in several ways. (Yes, I know that
>> there are safeguards to help, but they are not always used)
>
>There is a simpler solution to this as used by the apt-cdrom tool, we
>simply verify that the package files are correct for the media they
>describe. If an entry exists there is a 99% chance that it is actually
>correct.

Hopefully this will be less of a problem in future - the slink_cd script
is forced to generate its own Packages files because of the way packages
are split across mutliple disks. This means that there is no chance of it
being out of sync with the packages on the disk...

--
Steve McIntyre, CURS CCE, Cambridge, UK.         stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk
"Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,                 +------------------