Re: Update was Re: Unsatisfied depends in slink main

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> > Of course this is not at all true, the package files are generated
> > directly from the .deb files daily they are never wrong, if they were then
> > our tools would stop working!
>
> While what you say is in principle true, in practice it doesn't always
> work out that way. My experience has been that many problems experienced
> by our users, and much of the fault on "broken" CDs have been the result
> of out-of-sync Packages files. In my most recent personal case, that
> broken sync was caused by a broken mirror configuration WRT symlinks. The
> result was a package in the Packages file but not in the archives. This
> can happen through a chain of mirrors in several ways. (Yes, I know that
> there are safeguards to help, but they are not always used)

There is a simpler solution to this as used by the apt-cdrom tool, we
simply verify that the package files are correct for the media they
describe. If an entry exists there is a 99% chance that it is actually
correct.

Mind you this process takes a long time, but I think it is worth it as it
makes our CD installs virtually fool proof

Jason