Re: Debian v2.1 ("Slink") Deep Freeze

Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> Bugs against ftp.debian.org are often important - these ones are holding
> up slink's release (granted, they're not the only things holding it up).

No, it's not these ones.  Santiago is whining (again) about other bugs.

The release critical bugs for ftp.debian.org are:

ftp.debian.org    14898  courtney has problematic license
                  31282  upgrade-1386 directory in Incoming
                  31578  cfengine needs to be in frozen
                  31828  cgiwrap is old and unmaintained

#14898 is newly promoted, so it missed my clean out over the weekend.
#31282 is... problematic, I'll let Guy explain.  #31578 was never
really a ftp.debian.org bug, I chased BenC up about that several days
ago and I believe he's fixed it.  #31828 is also problematic (see the
bug log for the details).  We regularly do and have been clearing out
release critical bugs against ftp.debian.org ever since the freeze.

[The exceptions being certain ``release critical'' bugs filed by
Santiago, which I just ignored, and Richard finally demoted to normal,
provoking the typical harassment from him.]

> It would be upsetting to think that our ftp.debian.org maintainer
> team was choosing to spite the whole distribution because some
> developers were whining.

That's clearly not the case, please don't so blatantly misrepresent
things.

> It is also always upsetting to see an 'ad hominem' answer to an
> important question - however the original question was couched.

Santiago's behaviour is why I'm ignoring a lot of his bugs, I'd like
to see you suggest a way I explain that without being ``ad hominem''.

> So, could I (respectfully) ask someone on the ftp.debian.org team to
> explain the delay?

What freaking delay?  Please look at the bug report logs and show me
evidence that we're in any way holding up the release (i.e. there is
any danger of all the other release critical bugs against
non-chuckable packages being fixed before ftp.debian.org's).  It'd be
a cunning trick if you could.

> If the problem is time constraints on the individuals concerned -
> which is something we can all have sympathy for - then perhaps the
> team would like to ask for volunteers to help with the spade-work.

As Brian has said to Santiago already (those he chooses to ignore it
so he can whine more effectively), we do not need more help, and we
certainly do not want his ``help''.

Personally, I'd like to get on with the slink release and other
things, so please, don't carry this thread on.

--
James