Re: XFree86 hamm -> slink upgrade 'dummy' package

On 15 Jan 1999, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

> After some discussion, we have come up with a much better solution.
>
> Simply use the 'xbase' package name as the dummy package, renaming
> what is currently 'xbase' in slink to xfree86-base.
>
> Then, the xbase package will be an Optional package that will not have
> anything but a copyright in it which will Depend on all the packages
> xbase has been split up into.
>
> As an added bonus, the new xbase package's postinst will print out a
> message saying it's just a dummy package and can/should be removed as
> soon as possible.
>
> This will make upgrading from hamm to slink MUCH much easier.

I mostly agree with this approach. Congratulations!

Some nitpicks:

xbase should be in oldlibs and be priority extra, since it is not required
at all in new installs (only in upgrades).

I think the message in the postinst would be ok as long as it does
make the user to press enter or such (remember: we are
aiming at non-interactive upgrades).

Thanks.

--
 "ddf8a5b41bf1f76b293fdfeea9d8a37e" (a truly random sig)