Re: Leader Elections start tomarrow

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote (on debian-vote):
> If there is a package that enhances tetex-bin, do I see those packages
> when I look at tetex-bin, or do I only see the linkage when I look at the
> non-free package that enhances tetex-bin? If the latter, it is still
> hidden.

My understanding was that you'd see them when selecting tetex-bin.
Otherwise, what's the point?  [It would be just the same as suggests:]

> And if I don't use anything but dpkg and midnight commander?

Put something like this in a script somewhere, and run it from inside
midnight commander.  [Replace /var/state/lists/*s with something that
points at your "Packages" files.]

perl -ne '
	BEGIN{
		for (`dpkg --get-selections`) {
			$have{$1}++ if /(\S+)\s+install/;
		}
		$/="";
	}
	($p)= /Package:\s+(\S+)/;
	for $e (/(?:Enhances:\s+|\G\s+)(\S+)(?:,|$)/sg) {
		print "$e enhances $p\n" if !$have{$e} && $have{$p};
	}
	' /var/state/apt/lists/*s

> I use mc a lot for "looking" at the control file for the information
> provided there. As soon as you remove this information from the
> control file, I loose the association. It thus becomes hidden from me.

I don't think we should design our policies around the limitations
of midnight commander.

--
Raul