udating device drivers

> Jonathan Buzzard <jonathan.buzzard@issquared.co.uk> wrote:
> > I was trying to be more constructive by suggesting possible ways in
> > which more up to date hardware drivers could be incoporated into
> > Debian to ease the installation of Debian on new hardware.

>From a user's perspective... something that should have a high priority!

What is needed is an `available drivers' management program (admp) that is
implemented independently from the installation procedure, and to the
extent possible, the system in general.  It should be able to handle
multiple mixed sources of driver modules (floppy, cd, mountable,...)
and result in /lib/modules/* containing only those drivers that have
specifically been selected to be on the system, or are expected
to be hanging around.  Then modconf and buddies can take over.

The benefits include: modconf and depmod will run faster; a structure
for module management, in addition to the existing configuration
management stuff, will be made available for developers to base their
UI's on; a bug (#31099) will get fixed, taking boot-floppies off the
critical list.

Debian would need to provide a default admp, the definition of a `system'
module, the URL to a kernel modules tree, and a prominent notice of how
driver modules are managed and configured by Debian (although any old hack
to shed unnecessary modules will get rid of the bug report).

I'd get started on it right away, but...
I don't have a clue what O_EXCL refers to yet,
and havn't found found a doc worthy of the title
"So you want to program for your Debian box..." ;)

later,

	Bruce