Where is GMT=?

All my systems are upgrades of bo to hamm, so I don't have a pure system.

I was talking with a client the other day who is having some timezones
problems. I pointed him at /etc/init.d/boot, only to find out that there
is no such file on his system, and my system now has something called
/etc/init.d/boot.OLD.

There is an hwclock init file that references the GMT variable and sets it
according to the needs of hwclock, but I can find nothing that sets the
value initially.

Where is GMT= set by the booting system?

Thanks,

Dwarf