Re: FWD: RMS and Debian on his Toshiba

On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 03:59:17PM +0000, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
> Patrick Ouellette wrote:

> > Laptops I've installed with M$ software were worse.  Most of the
> > pcmcia drivers pre-installed were out of date and did not support the
> > cards shipped with the machines without installing drivers.  I have
> > never had a pcmcia system work "out of the box" well enough that I
> > would call it a novice machine for support.

> Don't know what laptops you use, but this is trival on a Toshiba,
> I have personally done it on over a dozen machines. However this is
> the most stupid argument I have ever heard, what you are saying is
> that because Microsoft is worse, the poor state of affairs in Debian
> is justified. That's the way to go then.

Toshiba's supplied software works out of the box and on reinstallation
without fuss.  OTOH, Debian also worked out of the box and without fuss
for me, albeit about a year after I bought the machine.

> Not true at all, the next machines are most likely to only vary in
> the CPU speed, and Hard disk size. You might also see different
> screen options and a different video chipset's. Things like
> sound, pc-card, USB, ... will remain the same for some considerable
> time. In addition the model I mentioned will most likely still be in
> production and on sale come June of this year.

As far as I can see, the problem is not Debian refusing to support
these machines.  The problem is that Debian is releasing more slowly
than these other distributions and therefore doesn't have the latest
versions of everything out as fast.  There have been several threads
here recently about how to deal with this problem and there's an open
bug report 31581.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/