Re: cleanfeed as debian package?

On Mon, Jan 04, 1999 at 08:29:45AM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> Quoting Hamish Moffatt (hamish@debian.org):
> > At the same time, is it a bit odd that we ship everything we package
> > all together? We wouldn't expect a commercial OS vendor to ship every
> > available piece of software with the OS.
> >
> > Having everything packaged is terrific, it sometimes just seems a bit weird
> > that we include everything with no separation of the core OS.
>
> But debian isn't trying to charge for every available piece of software.
> How would we define the core OS? Commercial vendors use the "what the
> market will bear" approach, which doesn't apply to debian. (E.g., how
> come Sun's RAID software is a pay item and IRIX' is included? Should
> debian include RAID or charge for it?)

Good points. Mostly, anything hardware related or standard UNIX (definition
left as an exercise for the reader :-) is core to me.

I'm not actually suggesting we change anything, it was just an idle thought.
I'm used to working with bare-bones OSs on a day to day basis. (Solaris
at universities, HP-UX at my current job.)

Hamish