Re: unloading modules in 2.2.x kernels

On Fri, Jan 01, 1999 at 11:53:21PM +0000, Rene Hojbjerg Larsen wrote:
> Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Previously Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> >> For all you people using 2.1.x or 2.2 kernels, you will find that modules
> >> are no longer automatically unloaded - you need to run "rmmod -a" to do
> >> that.
> >
> > I was thinking of using a crontab entry to do that and run that every 5
> > minutes or so. The downside of the `rmmod -a' crontab that the kernel
> > documentation suggests is that modules that were not auto-loaded are
> > also unloaded. That can break systems, so I will not add the crontab to
> > the modutils package.

Good point - people should use "kmod" anyway :-)

> Erm, no:

[snip - rmmod didn't remove modules]

> Perhaps this is not clear from the rmmod man page, but modules that are
> explicitly modprobe'd are *not* considered unused by rmmod -a.  I don't
> know about 2.0 kernels, though.

Are you sure this isn't just because an unused module only gets unloaded on
the 2nd rmmod - to avoid rmmod removing a module which isn't used at the
instant the rmmod is run (but is normally in use).

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Avoid tiresome goat sacrifices  -=-  use Debian Linux http://www.debian.org