Re: dpkg.log

>> "WA" == Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl> writes:

WA> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
WA> Previously Ben Collins wrote:
>> Dpkg doesn't have to. And even if it did, it would only be very
>> generic pkg info - what was installed, when, etc.

WA> I would really love to have that logged..

AOL.

>> Well, using the suggestion from some one else, if you used logger and a
>> set log level to output to (the same the pppd has) such as localN then
>> syslog can be setup to send that out put to a central server or drop it
>> accordingly.

WA> Or create a dpkg-log tool to do it.

I prefer this.

This would give a better abstraction model, so that if we decide to
change something (lame example: the log facility), we only have to
change one package, not all. It would also be less errorprone (you
have to put many options in each call).

Also if one decides he wants logging into a sql database, he just has
to install an alternative to the standard dpkg-log (assuming someone
wrote such a method).

Ciao,
	Martin

--
from a 1996 Microshit ad campaign:
"The less you know about computers the more you want Micro$oft!"