Re: dpkg.log

Previously Ben Collins wrote:
> How would having packages send their install messages to
> /var/log/dpkg.log sound?

Bad. There are two issues with logging:
1 - dpkg does no logging at all. This is too bad, since it would be very
nice to have a logfile with logs operations on packages (installation,
removing, etc.)

2 - A lot of packages want to tell the user something when they are
being installed. This should be done either during the configuration
stage, or afterwards.

Also a hardcoded logfile-location is silly, I might want to log things
like this on a central server, or not at all.

This should really be on debian-admintool, and I've set the reply-to
accordingly.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl