Re: [siteadmin@abs.gov.au: Email sent by you blocked because it contains encrypted data.]

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Tyson Dowd wrote:

> Australia is not doing anything of the sort.  A government office is
> doing it - probably because their local administrator is doing it.

tyson's right. this is not an australia-wide thing. it's just the local
policy for one office of one fairly obscure and mostly irrelevant branch
of government. i.e. it's about as sinister and big-brotherish as the dog
pound at your local council refusing to accept PGP signed email.

personally, i don't have any problem with any site deciding their own
policy about what email they will or will not accept.

(my personal opinion that ABS copyrights == theft of public information
gained by a) public funds and b) compulsory census is irrelevant here.
it's their server, their system - if they choose not to accept pgp
encrypted or signed email that is their choice.)

however, i think their system admin has implemented an overly simplistic
solution if it is catching signed messages as well as encrypted ones.
that shows an inadequate understanding of the task at hand.

craig

--
craig sanders