Re: xlib6/g the saga continues.

[I'm not subscribed to the apt list, Cc's appreciated, everyone else on the
Cc list is there for some reason or another]

On Wed, Nov 04, 1998 at 01:22:31PM -0800, Alex Romosan wrote:
> i think the latest xlib6 (version -7) is horribly broken once again. i
> really don't understand what the following line is doing in
> xlib6.preinst:

Problem is, there are TWO -7's, which one is broken?  Nov 1 version works
fine, though it should have been -8 IMO to prevent this madness!

> for symlink in /usr/$arch-linuxlibc1/lib/X11/app-defaults \
>                /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale \                     <--- this
>                /usr/$arch-linuxlibc1/include/X11/bitmaps; do
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale is not a symlink, it belongs in xlib6g. on
> the other hand /usr/$arch-linuxlibc1/include/X11/ should be a symlink.
> so basically the xlib6 package is removing the locale directory from
> xlib6g, it creates an empty one in /usr/$arch-linuxlibc1/include/X11/
> and netscape and friends stop working.
>
> oh, and btw, when did xfree86_3.3.2.3a-7 get announced? i didn't see
> it in debian-devel-changes.

Either way it looks like a -8 is imminent...  xdm is still screwed even in
the fixed -7 version.

dpkg --configure xdm
dpkg: error processing xdm (--configure):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting configuration.
 xdm

APT DEVELOPERS:  Please note that this package doesn't cause apt to fail,
though apt has not the slightest clue how to fix it.  Not that it would
matter in this case if it did because the xdm package is completely broken
in this regard, observe:

dpkg -i X/xdm_3.3.2.3a-7.deb
(Reading database ... 24633 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace xdm 3.3.2.3a-7 (using X/xdm_3.3.2.3a-7.deb) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/xdm.prerm: /etc/init.d/xdm: Permission denied
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/prerm: /etc/init.d/xdm: Permission denied
dpkg: error processing X/xdm_3.3.2.3a-7.deb (--install):
 subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
/var/lib/dpkg/info/xdm.postinst: /etc/init.d/xdm: Permission denied
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 X/xdm_3.3.2.3a-7.deb

"permission denied" because the prerm is trying to run /etc/init.d/xdm which
is -x because of how badly the package is behaving...  If I +x the script
again...  well it installs okay, though it doesn't run properly on reboot.

I bet the current reason xdm is dying possibly is xfstt, S20xfstt may not be
started before S99xdm is, though that doesn't explain why xdm tries to
respawn for 10 minutes and never manages to, but then if I reboot and
disable it then use startx by hand (which also uses xfxtt) it works just
fine.

It also sometimes complains my mouse isn't there, which it is and is working
properly..  It's a serial FWIW and gpm can see it just fine.  I also know
just how to fix xdm so it doesn't lock the machine in these cases.  Even
more simply than the solution I suggested before, though not as pretty as
far as hacks go..

--
Show me the code or get out of my way.