Re: Status of X packages

On Mon, Nov 02, 1998 at 04:29:27PM -0500, Buddha M.D. Buck wrote:
> As far as I know, the XFree86 packages in slink/potato (X*3.3.2.3a-6)
> are still broken.  They have been broken for a while, and it was
> recommended to us that we -don't- upgrade unless we are willing to put
> up with the brokenness.  There was a flurry of releases that stopped
> with *-6, but no announcement that the brokenness was fixed.
>
> The most recent movement with the X packages has been the filing of a
> release-critical bug against dpkg, because builds of *-7 won't work
> until the bug is fixed.
>
> Since people are starting to upgrade to *-6, and it's still broken,
> perhaps we should downgrade the X packages in slink to the last working
> version (which I think is *3.3.2.3a-1), and move the current packages
> to experimental.

While it would probably be a very good idea to replace slink
X packages with the latest working version (unless there is speculation
that it will be stable RSN?? I havn't kept up either)

There is no need ot move them to experimental...just being only in
potato shoul dbe enough. Remember potato is still unstable and will
be for a while :) and things there are allowed to be broken

(not that things in stable aren't allowed to be broken to some degree...
at that point it becomes solidly and unchangingly broken :) - perhaps
even a feature if it makes us feel better about it (j/k) )

-Steve
Drug War Fact:
Nearly 80% of people who had property forfeited in the United States
were never charged with a crime themselves. Forfeiture can even occur
when the owner was aquitted of the crime!