Re: Status of X packages

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, John Lapeyre wrote:

> 	I put 3.3.2.3a-6 on a friend's machine.  He uses the console
> daily, and hasn't noticed problems.

I upgraded to -6 on my machine too, and apart from the first line in
/etc/X11/Xserver being set to /usr/bin/X11/, it has since been running
just as fine and stable as ever.

It took me some time to figure out how to fix the abovementioned problem
(I immediately spotted the problem and then fixed it by putting in
/usr/bin/X11/X - DOH! that file is supposed to parse /etc/X11Xserver!)

At one time, I backed up /etc/X11/XF86Config and ran XF86Setup, only to
find that it wouldn't run due to several files missing or not in the right
place (perhaps missing symlinks?)

Also, when the postinst offers to run the coniguration program (I guess
XF86Setup) nothing actually happens.  I suspect that this might be related
to the servername not being filled in in /etc/X11/Xserver, but I have
unfortunately been unable to find time to investigate. :-(

In any case, Branden (and all those who supported him) has IMHO done a
great job on X since he took up maintenance of it.

Cheers,

Joost