Re: AFM font metrics location?

On Sun, Aug 02, 1998 at 11:46:24AM -0400, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> I wonder if we can get these programs to agree on a common layout.  It
> would certainly make it easier to use new fonts in all of them!

The ad-hoc directory structure I'm currently using in GGlyph for the
user's personal fonts is:

~/Fonts/type1 - .pfa and .pfb files
~/Fonts/afm - .afm files
~/Fonts/tfm - .tfm files

TeX has a fairly well-organized directory structure for fonts, somewhat
like the above, except in /usr/lib/texmf/fonts  (I'm going to change
'Fonts' to 'fonts' in the next GGlyph so you can add $HOME to the TeX
search path and hopefully have them show up automatically)

Perhaps we could replicate something like it in /usr/share.  It would
involve some modifications to a bunch of packages, but the current
situation is a real mess anyway...  Just off the top of my head, it
might look like:

/usr/share/fonts/{afm, tfm, vf, mf, pk, bitmap, type1, truetype}

and, along the lines of how TeX works now, packages would create their
own subdirectories within these top-level dirs for their specific fonts.
So, for example, gsfonts would install in /usr/share/fonts/type1/ghostscript
and /usr/share/fonts/afm/ghostscript, xfntscl would either install in
/usr/share/fonts/speedo/X11 and /usr/share/fonts/type1/X11 or create
symlinks, and then run something like type1afm to generate AFM files in
/usr/share/fonts/afm/X11 if they aren't already there, and so on...

There might be endianness problems with bitmaps, though.  (these would
generally be things that would go in /var/cache/fonts anyway, or would
be specific to X11...)

This isn't a real proposal or anything, just an idea I'm tossing out.

> They appear to be free.  Adobe's downloadables license on the web
> appears to allow redistribution & modification, although the license
> inside the files themselves says ``All Rights Reserved.''  Maybe we
> should talk to Adobe about this?

You can also generate AFM files from .pfa/.pfb files by scaling them to
1000 points and getting the BBox for each glyph.  There are at least two
programs that can do this in our distribution already.

Cheers

--
          David Huggins-Daines - bn711@freenet.carleton.ca
           PGP public key #63A8B719 on public key servers