Re: POSIX shell; bash ash pdksh & /bin/sh

Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:
> I will explain better: I don't want to remove bash, I just want that
> the unability to remove it comes from the fact that packages depends
> on it, not from the fact that it is simply essential.

Ok, but: what's the rush?

As I said before, Guy's change to the bash package is the first step,
and I don't think we need to do the second step till after slink is
released.

What we have now is self-consistent.  What you're proposing will take
a lot of work.  What's the rush?

> Obviosuly (or perhaps not so, since people talk about the
> remove-essential flag of dpkg), if we make bash non-essential we would
> have to add "Depends: bash" lines in many packages at the same time
> (someone though otherwise?).

If we decide to go through with this (and we probably will, though even
though there's no immediate need), the right thing to do is tell people
we're going to make the change, and let people file bug reports against
packages with an implicit dependency on bash.

Basically, we're talking about saving 1.3 meg of disk space.  Yeah,
that's a neat thing to do, but it's hardly a crushing priority.

--
Raul