Re: .so and .a libs, tcl, postgres = in over my head

Previously Dan Jacobowitz wrote:
> So - Using a .so would decrease memory usage (although if I am correct
> all the apache children share an in-memory copy of mod_perl.so right?

Correct, even if you use non-PIC code. With PIC-code you can share the
library with other application though.

> What about the fact that it is linked to non-pic code?  I'm losing it
> here.).

That's all detected automagically and handled by the loader/linker.

> But using a .so would decrease the speed of every perl program.  Right?

It's just that all PIC code is slightly slower then non-PIC code. You
can use PIC-code in modperl, but then the libperl for modperl couldn't
be shared with other applications.

In case you didn't know, PIC stands for Position Independent Code, which
makes it possibly for a library to be placed on different memory addresses
for different application while stile having only 1 physical copy in
memory.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@wi.LeidenUniv.nl