Re: .so and .a libs, tcl, postgres = in over my head

On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 03:53:15PM -0300, Johnie Ingram wrote:

> "Gergely" == Gergely Madarasz <gorgo@caesar.elte.hu> writes:
>
> Gergely> You mean make a libperl.so and link mod_perl against it
> Gergely> dynamically? I dont think it would make sense, because apache
> Gergely> would be the only thing using it.
>
> But such a shared libperl.so could have other uses -- perl compiling
> is easier if it exists, if I remember correctly.  At the moment its
> probably faster and easier to stick with static.

Definitely easier, and faster.  libperl.so is only useful on systems
which have a large number of things linked to libperl - perl and
mod_perl being the only two I know of at the moment.

On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 09:48:04PM +0200, Gergely Madarasz wrote:
> Not a problem if the executable loads it once, and then forks, so the
> linking is only done once. The executable itself is also non-pic code.

So - the PIC slowdown only occurs at linking and not during use,
correct?

Dan