Re: .so and .a libs, tcl, postgres = in over my head

On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 10:00:04PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Dan Jacobowitz wrote:
> > Definitely easier, and faster.  libperl.so is only useful on systems
> > which have a large number of things linked to libperl - perl and
> > mod_perl being the only two I know of at the moment.
>
> It's not a matter of being faster, it also reduces the memory usage.
>
> > So - the PIC slowdown only occurs at linking and not during use,
> > correct?
>
> Incorrect.

So - Using a .so would decrease memory usage (although if I am correct
all the apache children share an in-memory copy of mod_perl.so right?
What about the fact that it is linked to non-pic code?  I'm losing it
here.).  But using a .so would decrease the speed of every perl
program.  Right?

Dan