Re: DPKG on non-Debian Systems

Marc Singer <elf@netcom.com> writes:

> > Let me start by saying I have not compiled dpkg myself.  However I have
> > had to use automake/autoconf a good deal.  So here goes.....
> >
> > The normal sequence is to run: aclocal;automake;autoconf and then
> > ./configure and make.  If you add a --verbose (or is it one '-') you
> > will see what it is doing and possibly why it is failing.

>   Awesome.  This is the result:

> elf@florence ...src/dpkg-1.4.0.23.2 > aclocal
> aclocal: configure.in: 93: macro `AM_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in library
> aclocal: configure.in: 112: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
[deletia]

>   From this, it doesn't look like either a) I have everything I need, or
>   b) dpkg is meant to be configured this way.

You don't have everything you need.

In fact, if you look closely, you'll see that you need "libtool" and
"gettext".  Many of the other errors actually stem from the missing
libtool and gettext.

(If you're running a Debian system, get the packages.  If automake is
in /usr, it only looks in /usr for its configuration files - also, the
upstream libtool is broken.)

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu