Re: DPKG on non-Debian Systems

> >   From this, it doesn't look like either a) I have everything I need, or
> >   b) dpkg is meant to be configured this way.
>
> You don't have everything you need.
>
> In fact, if you look closely, you'll see that you need "libtool" and
> "gettext".  Many of the other errors actually stem from the missing
> libtool and gettext.
>
> (If you're running a Debian system, get the packages.  If automake is
> in /usr, it only looks in /usr for its configuration files - also, the
> upstream libtool is broken.)

Not entirely true.  I do have gettext on my machine, but the
gettext.m4 macro for aclocal is not present in that package.  Neither
is it in the gettext diff in hamm.  I did find it on the net.

It passes those problems and find a new one:

  aclocal: configure.in: 93: macro `AM_PATH_PROG_WITH_TEST' not found in library

Isn't it odd that dpkg doesn't already have a configure script?
Aren't these problems exactly the reason why we have configure
scripts?

-- Marc