Re: A project to provide a nicer GUI for installing debian ?

On Fri, Jul 03, 1998 at 06:21:11PM +0200, Stig Sandbeck Mathisen wrote:
> * Vincent Renardias (Thu, Jul 02, 1998 at 08:36:19PM +0200)
> >
> > This (ie: having the install program using X11) has already been done a
> > while ago by Caldera (and possibly RedHat).
> > It has been dropped because it required the ramdisk to be splitted on 2
> > floppies and was very inconvenient.
> > Also it turns out that X11 with VGA16 is even uglier than ncurses/newt.
> > (Gtk programs looks very bad on my 256 colour display, and I don't even
> > want to know how it can look like with only 1 colours).
>
> Maybe GGI should be worth looking into, it may appear in kernel
> version 2.2, and adding support for a GGI-based (i.e. graphical,
> but no X) install method would not reauire something as large as X.
>
> However, I might be wrong.
>
> Ina ny case, _when_ GGI is released to the general public, it would be
> nice to have this finished.

I really think this is the right way to go if we're gonna do graphics.  X is
just too hard to configure for installation.  Xggi uses only the GGI
instalation which frankly a superior solution to futzing around with the
evil XF86Setup program or the more evil xf86config program.

And there's no reason why we have to use X at all really.  If we do GUIs at
all they should be OPTIONAL and DONE RIGHT.

> Thought: This does not need to be on the bootdisk, but could the bootdisk
> provide a way to choose from additional installation procedures if you
> are booting (or installing) from a larger media? (CDROM)

Yes.  See last message from me and a thread about live filesystems in -user.

> Thought: A ZIP disk image would have been interesting, and would also
> provide ample space for such a thing. It should be able to boot from,
> if you have a SCSI ZIPdrive, and a controller which support that.

Yes.  That's why I'm working on the Zip version.  ALSO, the stock kernel
should be able to use an IDE Zip drive.  And there's nothing that says you
can't use a boot disk like you might for the CD-ROM to boot even a parallel
Zip, or just run a batch file on the Zip disk from DOS like we do for the
CD-ROMs..