Re: A project to provide a nicer GUI for installing debian ?

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Geoff Brimhall wrote:

> If not, since this is linux and if a person states a wishlist, this
> usually implies a nomination to get it going, I was wondering if the
> X-vga16 driver could be kicked up automatically from the boot kernel
> that comes with the boot disks. I *think* (I'm not sure about this
> though, so any comments appreciated) this would allow building a
> gtk-statically-linked install program that could have cooler graphics,
> and hopefully be more automated.

This (ie: having the install program using X11) has already been done a
while ago by Caldera (and possibly RedHat).
It has been dropped because it required the ramdisk to be splitted on 2
floppies and was very inconvenient.
Also it turns out that X11 with VGA16 is even uglier than ncurses/newt.
(Gtk programs looks very bad on my 256 colour display, and I don't even
want to know how it can look like with only 1 colours).

	Cordialement,

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS                 vincent@{waw.com,pipo.com,debian.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:           Pipo:                    WAW:               -