Re: non-free and "cd-ok", again

lalo@webcom.com (Lalo Martins) writes:

> So basically there is plenty of reson to leave qt out of main,
> since this is against the philosofies of Free Software, DFSG and
> Debian; but there isn't any reason not to include them in CDs.
> If there was a "cd-ok" distribution, people would be able to use
> kde from the CD only, without any download. Not that I think
> this is a good thing, but lotsa people do. :-)

I for example think like this.  The distribution of software on CD is
simply a very convenient means of avoiding download costs for users.
Personally i buy CD-ROMs simply for that reason.  And i consider it
very disapppointing when i find out that something which is at least
freely distributable is not contained in such a disc.  I don't like
the free software advocates trying to be more catholic than even the
pope if there actually does exist a practical way of arranging oneself
with the not so ideal real world out there.  The existing possibility
of accessing these kind of files via FTP is only a possibility for all
those that have a cheap internet connection.  This is not the case for
private people here in Germany who can't sit at a university's PC for
ftp-ing and it is supposedly far less a possibility for so called
third world economies like in South America, Africa or East Europe.

                                Thank you, P. *8^)
--
   --------- Paul Seelig <pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de> -----------
   --------------- http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig -----------------