Re: crypt++.el nonus or main

Christoph Martin <martin@verwaltung.uni-mainz.de> writes:
> > It does make a difference: I moved mailcrypt to contrib because it
> > contains just hooks to pgp and no crypto code itself.
> >
> > I was told, by Guy Maor if I'm not mistaken, that mailcrypt's pgp
> > hooks are rather similar to bash' ones.  (You could invoke pgp on the
> > command line, I mean).
> >
> > Mailcrypt went not to main just because it _depends_ on pgp.
>
> So we can move crypt++el to contrib too because it only uses mailcrypt
> etc. !?!

I think crypt++el doesn't even need to be in contrib. It can do a number of
different encodings of which pgp encryption is only one, and not the most
frequently used on at that. And the hooks it provides are generalized to deal
with arbitrary encoding/decoding programs including gzip, compress, etc..

I don't think it would be a good idea to have a Depends or Recommends for pgp
as it's still entirely useful without it. So I don't see any reason to put it
in anything but main.

Incidentally, I disagree with Guy's interpretation. I think mailcrypt's hooks
are "specifically" for key management and cryptography and so make it non-US.

greg