Re: Request for policy advice on X server manpages

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Branden Robinson wrote:

> 3) xbase ships with a symlink /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config ->
> /etc/X11/XF86Config . However, /etc/X11/XF86Config is not guaranteed to
> exist when the package is installed (if the user doesn't accept the
> postinst's offer to run xf86config, for instance).  I think it's nasty to
> ship a broken symlink, and I was going to have the postinst make the
> symlink if and only if xf86config created one, but this has two problems:
>
>   a) at least one developer feels that anything in /usr should be shipped,
>   broken symlink or not; I didn't hear his justification for this, but I
>   generally trust his judgement.
>
>   b) Just because xf86config doesn't buld an XF86Config file doesn't mean
>   the user isn't going to have one -- he/she may have a known good one ready
>   to move into place, and they shouldn't have to make the symlink manually.
>
> Suggestions?

Do you know which programs need the XF86Config file? My guess would be
xf86config, XF86Setup and all X servers. Couldn't you just check their
source code and patch it so that they'll always look in /etc/X11/ for this
file? I think this would solve the problem.

(Sorry to reply only after a week, I am currently catching up on the
lists after two busy weeks)

Remco