Re: package pre-selections tool

Alrighty, so we all agree it would be a very good thing that, after
the base system is installed, there should be some mechanism for users
to preload one of several stock Debian configurations.

Well, we better get to work ASAP if there's any hope of getting this
into Debian 2.0.  (Technically, it may already be too late; the freeze
has occurred.)

As I see it, the next steps are:

* Determine whether there's a *straight-forward* was to implement with
  the existing dpkg or with only minor modifications.  Would 'dpkg
  --get-selections' work?

* Find a volunteer to write a little (whiptail) configuration program
  to present the alternatives and drive dpkg prior to that first
  dselect run.  This should support a modular configurations method
  that would allow us to add/remove/modify the stock configurations
  w/o altering the code.

* Find volunteers to supply stock configurations for preloading.

* Get the debian-testing group to test it!